Maple Grove Senior High
MN Outdoor Connection
- Forest and Conservation Workers
- Geological and Petroleum Technicians
- Water Resource Specialist
- Geological Sample Test Technician
MN Outdoor Connection
Note: This is a full year course developed by Physical and Technology Education.
Students will be introduced to the Minnesota outdoors and all it offers. Integrated themes surrounding the ideas of activity, habitat, survival and water use are incorporated in a hands-on, bodies-on curriculum. The course will focus on physical activity (Physical Education), environmental studies (Ecology), experimentation and design/production, and maintenance of outdoor equipment which relates to using and understanding the outdoors (Technology Education). Skills development should lead to the potential for a whole class participation in an overnight outdoor culminating activity which demonstrates success in each area of study. Enrollment is limited to juniors and seniors.
One Credit per Trimester
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Create an “outdoor journal” with regular entries from class.
- Demonstrate and/or articulate their development of appreciation of nature.
- Articulate an increased understanding of the relationship between themselves and the natural world.
- Produce a piece of equipment which will assist in performing some outdoor activity.
- Use scientific inquiry skills to study/solve problems related to outdoor activity.
- Develop skills necessary for performance of an outdoor physical activity (examples: snowshoeing, canoeing, hiking and/or biking).
Physical Education Standards (these are supplemental to MNOC Course Standards):
- Demonstrate competency in motor skills and movement patterns needed to perform a variety of physical activities.
- Demonstrate understanding of movement concepts, principles, strategies and tactics as they apply to the learning and performance of physical activities.
- Participate regularly in physical activity.
- Achieve and maintain a health-enhancing level of physical fitness.
- Exhibit responsible personal and social behavior that respects self and others in physical activity settings.
- Values physical activity for health, enjoyment, challenge, self-expression, and/or social interaction.
Course Prerequisites: None