Osseo Area Schools Student Services Programs
Student Services was first established as a program area within the Osseo Area Schools during the 2003-2004 school year. Student Services promote healthy social and emotional development and positively affect student safety.
School systems are not responsible for meeting every need of their students. But when the need directly affects learning, the school must meet the challenge.
-Carnegie Council on Education Task Force
This quote captures the essence of student services. Our aim is to provide supports for students that address factors that can interfere with their engagement and success in school. Addressing barriers that affect student learning involves school and district-level support, and support that involves families and is community-wide. Research supports that enhancing the student service support system by focusing on the development of a comprehensive approach will help close the achievement gap and help to ensure that every student has an equal opportunity to succeed at school.
One or more of the following six essential components of a comprehensive approach are evident in the services that Osseo provides.
- Enhancing teacher capacity for addressing problems and for fostering social, emotional, intellectual and behavioral development.
- Enhancing school capacity to handle the variety of transition concerns confronting students and their families.
- Responding to minimizing impact, and preventing crises.
- Enhancing home involvement.
- Outreach to the community to build linkages and collaborations.
- Providing special assistance for students and families.
The diagram below identifies the student services available within the Osseo District.