The English Learner (EL) Program promotes strong foundations for academic achievement and English language proficiency for students whose first language is not English, or who have learned English outside of the United States. EL teachers, who hold university degrees in education and are licensed by the State of Minnesota to work with English learners, provide instruction in listening, speaking, reading, and writing. This instruction supports students in acquiring academic language and builds the background knowledge necessary to participate fully and succeed academically in their grade-level or content-area classes.
EL Program staff members work with students and families at our Enrollment Center to determine if a student qualifies for English Learner services.
How we provide instruction to students who qualify for English Learner services
English Learner teachers work together with classroom and specialist teachers to provide an educational program that meets the needs of every student and accelerates academic achievement for students learning English.
The State of Minnesota has adopted the WIDA English Language Development Standards. These standards represent the social and academic language students will need to understand and use to succeed in school.
D-I-A-L: Direct Interpreter Access Line
Use the phone numbers below to contact an interpreter who will call our school district to interpret for you when you need to communicate with school staff on the telephone. It is helpful to know the name of the person you would like to talk with and the school where he or she works.
- Pусский: Dial 1.855.891.5321
- Soomaali: Dial 1.855.891.5322
- Español: Dial 1.855.891.8364
- Tiếng Việtn: Dial 1.855.891.8365
- Hmong: Dial 1.877.205.3002
- Colorín Colorado!: A bilingual (Spanish and English) website that gives information to parents about how you can help your children become good readers and successful students. Reading tip sheets for parents are available in 11 languages.
- Bridging Refugee Youth and Children’s Services: An Illustrated Handbook for Parents about Raising Children in the United States.
- WIDA: Information about the EL Standards and assessments, including the ACCESS for ELLs that we use in Osseo Area Schools.
- Minnesota Department of Education English Learner information
Kiersten Nicholson, Coordinator 763.391.7074
Jeanne Adelmann, Intake Facilitator 763.585.7358
Josh Smith, Intake Facilitator 763.585.7357
Heblin Leon, Receptionist/Appointments 763.585.7359