April 15, 2015
Planning for the move to new grade spans continues to advance on time and on budget. As earlier work winds down, emphasis is moving to logistics and school transition plans, ensuring that movement of staff and materials/equipment over the summer goes well and that students have smooth transitions to their new schools.
Each junior high offered information sessions for students and families to describe what students will experience in middle school. Secondary school transition plans incorporate feedback gathered from parents/guardians who highlighted the need for high quality orientations and student support (particularly in the area of relationships among middle school students) and clear, consistent communication from each school.
Registration for middle school and high school classes has been completed and staff will monitor implementation of the schedules next fall. Due to low student registration for 8th grade French at Maple Grove, Brooklyn and Osseo Middle Schools, the class will be offered only at North View Middle School. Spanish will be offered at all four middle schools.
High School Facilities
- Construction of the additions at each high school is proceeding on time and according to plan.
- The anticipated date of substantial completion for all construction is July 31, 2015.
- Significant interior work was done over spring break, taking advantage of the opportunity to complete work without disrupting instruction and other operations.
- The contractor’s insurer will replace the gyms at Maple Grove Senior High that sustained water damage.
Middle School Design Team
- The Middle School Design Team is studying recommendations regarding middle level report cards and conferences.
- Each school will be assigned a full-time teacher to support other teachers in providing differentiation and high levels of rigor in every classroom.
- Current elementary teachers will help assign next year’s 6th and 7th graders to cluster classrooms, with the goal of ensuring that each student will be in a classroom with at least one other student he/she knows well.
- Out-of-school-time (before and/or after-school) programming will be available at all four middle schools.
- The Guide to Middle School was mailed in March to families of students currently enrolled in 5th, 6th and 7th grade, and translated versions are available.
- Each building has a designated logistics point person to handle logistics and communication at that site.
- The logistics team has developed detailed packing and moving plans that will help ensure that materials and equipment arrive in the right location at the right time.
- The purchase of furniture, fixtures and equipment for the high school construction projects is in progress.
- The movement of people and materials is being coordinated with other activities at each site, such as summer programming and the summer cleaning schedule.
Human Resources Staffing Team
- A phased-in teacher staffing process is being used to help ensure that positions are open to as many current teachers as possible across all levels throughout the transfer and hiring process.
- The first round of interviews has been completed for high school and middle school; elementary is now underway.
- Internal transfers for positions such as elementary music and physical education specialists, counselors, social workers, school psychologists and occupational therapists are complete.
- The process for speech and language pathologists did not go according to plan so was restarted in early April.
An iPad collection plan is being developed with three goals in mind:
- Minimizing labor required by teachers and other school staff at the end of the school year;
- Ensuring inspection of each iPad; and
- Delivering on our promise that next fall, each student will receive the same iPad he or she used this year.
The technology team is also evaluating options for summer storage of iPads.
Final equipment lists for new classroom spaces have been completed and orders are ready to process.