In This Section:


Home Use

Students will be bringing the their iPads home for learning purposes. Some tips for home use:

  • The iPad should never be left unattended in a public place or in a car.
  • iPads should not be exposed to extreme heat or cold.
  • Parents are encouraged to work with their student to set up home guidelines for the use of the iPad.
  • Students are allowed to connect with the wireless networks at home on the iPads. This will assist them with iPad use while at home.

iPad Screen

iPad screens can be damaged if subjected to rough treatment. The screens are particularly sensitive to damage from excessive pressure on the screen, particularly on the corners.

  • Do not lean on the top of the iPad.
  • Do not place anything on or near the iPad that could put pressure on the screen.
  • Clean the screen with a soft, dry cloth or anti-static cloth. Do not use any liquids or cleaning products on the iPad.
  • Avoid using sharp objects on the iPad or placing the iPad in a backpack or other bag containing sharp objects.
  • Do not bump the iPad against lockers, walls, car doors, floors, etc. Do not drop or toss backpacks or bags containing the iPad.

iPad Case

The purpose of the case is to protect the iPad, especially while it’s being transported. The iPad must remain in the school-issued protective case at all times. Students may decorate the case with removable stickers or markings. No stickers or any other items should be attached to the iPad itself. If an iPad is determined to be no longer protecting a student will be responsible for purchasing a new one.

Storing the iPad

Students in grades 6–12: When students grades 6–12 are not using their iPads, they should store the iPads in the locked hallway locker. Nothing should be placed on top of the iPad when stored in the locker.

All students: Students are expected to take their iPads home every day after school. iPads should not be stored in a student’s vehicle.

iPads Left in Unsupervised Areas

Under no circumstances should iPads be left in unsupervised areas. Unsupervised areas include, but are not limited to, the school grounds and campus, the lunchroom, computer lab, locker rooms, library, unlocked classrooms, restrooms, and hallways. Any iPad left in these areas is in danger of being loss due to negligence. If an iPad is found in an unsupervised area, it will be taken to the main office.

Lost, Stolen, Damaged iPads

If the iPad is lost or stolen, the student or parent/guardian is required to notify the assigned building iPad Tech ESP as soon as possible. The iPad Protection Plan covers a stolen device at 70%, the family is responsible for the remaining 30% and securing a police report. Lost devices are covered at 50%, the family is responsible for the other 50%. Families without the protection plan on file, will be responsible for 100% of the cost. If an iPad is lost or stolen, it will be disabled immediately; no one will be able to use the device until it is recovered and reset by district technology staff.

Students/Families should not attempt to repair the iPad themselves. If the iPad fails to work or is damaged, report the problem to your school’s Media Center as soon as possible. iPad repair or replacement options will be determined by the school district’s electronic repair department. You may be issued a spare iPad or other materials until the iPad is working properly or replaced. If the iPad is experiencing technical difficulties outside of school hours, you will need to wait until you return to school.

Charging and Monitoring the Battery

The iPad has an internal, lithium-ion rechargeable battery. The best way to charge the iPad battery is to connect it to a power outlet using the included charging cable and USB power adapter (charging block).

The iPad may also be charged when connected to a USB 2.0 port on your computer. If it is connected to a computer that doesn’t provide enough power to charge the iPad, a “Not Charging” message appears in the status bar. Note: The iPad battery may drain instead of charge if iPad is connected to a computer that’s turned off or is in sleep or standby mode, to a USB hub, or to the USB port on a keyboard.

Safety Guidelines

Don’t sleep with or place the iPad or power adapter under a blanket, pillow, or body when it’s plugged into a power source. It’s important to keep iPad and its power adapter in a well-ventilated area when using or charging them.

Listening to sound at high volumes may damage hearing. Before using headphones, turn on the audio and check the volume, before inserting earbuds or putting on headphones.

Additional information provided by Apple about safety and the iPad.