Despite the cold winter weather and all the snow, Osseo Area Schools athletes found a way to keep their bodies moving, stay warm, and break records! We also had numerous students participate in activities such as the drumline team, musicals, art, speech and debate.
The district’s PI-Adapted floor hockey team finished third at the state tournament and the CI-Adapted team placed sixth. Our Grove Area Percussion (shown right), the drumline team that includes students from all three comprehensive high schools, has enough members this year for two competitive lines. One line took first place and the other took fifth place in state earlier this month.
The following are just a few of the many highlights from each school (click on the links below for more highlights and news for each school):
- The Maple Grove Dance Team took third place in the Class AAA Jazz state tournament (shown at their Super Bowl halftime appearance in photo below). Ashley Kolling and Jessica Laurance were also named to the all-tournament team.
- Eight students signed letters of intent to play collegiate sports including Zyah Alam, JT Awosika, Meredith Haakenson, Curtis Haugen, Tia Johnson, Autumn Mlinar, Andrew Peterson, and Trent Tatur.
- Swimmers Jackson Brown and Kelby Modene qualified for the state swimming meet.
- The Maple Grove Senior High girls’ basketball team, section 8AAAA winners, finished sixth at the state tournament, and the boys’ basketball team won the section 8AAAA title.
- Meredith Haakenson, a soccer player, was honored with the 2018 MGSH Athena award, which is given to one outstanding female athlete each year.
- Junior Joey Thompson won the school’s first-ever state wrestling title.
- Adam Lanners, Taylor Meissner and Jagger Schack qualified for the wrestling individual state tournament and finished in second place in their respective weight classes at the section tournament.
- The weightlifting team earned second place at the Minnesota State Powerlifting Championships in early February and seven students qualified for the USA Powerlifting High School Nationals competition.
- Emily Sjelin (tennis, hockey and lacrosse player), was honored with the 2018 OSH Athena award.
- The Osseo Senior High boys’ basketball team won the section 5AAAA title and won the consolation championship at the state tournament.
- Seven students signed letters of intent to play collegiate sports including Brent Tekautz, Greg Arrell, Johnson Fallah, Ben Plzak, Adam Lanners, Adam Plumhoff, Kal Calvert, Kayia Dooher and Kenya Davis.
- Junior Khoi Pham headed to state to compete in the 500 freestyle swimming event.
- Fifty-seven ninth-graders in orchestra at Osseo Senior High had the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to play at Orchestra Hall (shown below).
- Park Center Senior High presented the Lin-Manuel Miranda In The Heights musical in early March. More than 80 students participated in the production as actors, technical support and set designers.
- Senior guard on the Park Center Senior High basketball team, Levonte Parker was featured as the top five athletes of the week from the Minnesota Spokesman-Recorder, as shown in the photo below (photo credit: Mitchell Palmer McDonald).
- For the second year in a row, Elizabeth Mattson, an 11th-grader, qualified for the state tournament in Nordic skiing.
- Six students signed letters of intent to play collegiate sports including Nathanael Love, Michael Bailey, Blake Wilkins, Ryan Schnobrich, Jessa Holden, and Hailey Illi.
- Meghan DuBois, a basketball and soccer player, was awarded the 2018 PCSH Athena award.
- Annika Lee, a gymnast, and Ethan Strom, a diver, made state appearances this year.