Individuals holding a professional teaching license issued by the state of Minnesota and administrators are required to keep their license current to be eligible for employment.
To renew a professional teaching license, applicants must earn 125 clock hours of Continuing Education within the five-year life of that license. Clock hours must be earned in at least two of the following categories:
- College/Board Credit
- Staff Development/In-services
- Curriculum Development
- Peer Coaching/Mentorship
- Professional Service
- Leadership Experiences
- Other Educational Opportunities
- PRE-APPROVED Travel or Work Experience
Applicants must also include in their 125 clock hours instruction or other professional development activities which address:
- Positive behavioral intervention strategies
- Accommodation, modification, or adaptation of curriculum, materials, or instruction to appropriately meet the needs of varied students in achieving graduation standards
- Further reading preparation consistent with Minnesota Statutes, section 122A.06, subdivision 4.
- Further preparation in understanding the key warning signs of early-onset mental illness in children and adolescents.
Please note: Teachers who do not provide direct instruction, e.g., counselors, school psychologists, school nurses, school social workers, audiovisual directors and coordinators, and recreation personnel, are exempt from the reading requirement. MN Statute 122A.09, subdivision 4(m)
Licensed, contracted teachers are required to attend district staff development workshops throughout the school year. Attendance at these workshops for the five-year license period should generate more than enough clock hours required and meet additional state requirements for license renewal. However, it is your responsibility to monitor your requirements. Clock hours earned from district workshops are recorded for licensed, contracted staff. Hourly staff members need to submit the activity on a Continuing Education Clock Hour Application documentation form.
The Continuing Education Committee meets monthly during the school year to approve clock hours. The committee does not meet during the summer.
In January of the year of license expiration, district licensed staff will be sent license renewal instructions. Further license renewal information can be obtained from the Minnesota Department of Education or by calling the Continuing Ed message line at 763.391.7007.